- SHE provides technical services and support to help communities compete for scarce financial
resources and to empower people to become leaders.
- Community Development: Human resources and technical assistance are provided for small towns to help develop adequate water delivery and wastewater disposal systems by working with local residents to form special service districts, preparing funding applications, monitoring projects, and providing leadership training to new and existing community boards.
- Housing Rehabilitation: SHE preserves and improves the existing housing stock through emergency repairs that address immediate threats to owner’s health or safety, rehabilitation projects that focus on major renovations, and providing assistance to property owners to make their homes more energy-efficient.
- Multifamily Housing: SHE actively develops, preserves and operates affordable multifamily rental housing.
- Homebuyer Programs: SHE provides assistance to families wishing to become homeowners through traditional avenues.
- Self-Help Housing: Ten to twelve families form groups that work collectively to provide 70% of the labor required to build the homes. These efforts lead to the "sweat equity" that provides the down payment on each home.
- Foreclosure Counseling: foreclosure counselors help clients and provide them with accurate information.
- Homeownership Counseling and Education: in order to prepare families for the responsibility of homeownership.
- Investments by individuals, as well as institutions such as the Calvert
Foundation, provide the lending capital to SHE.