In October of 2004, with optimistic enthusiasm, KCNA broke ground on what would become an essential resource for Vineyard and the surrounding neighborhoods. Our vision: complete construction of a resource center; help community leaders tailor it to fit the needs of their neighborhood, and convey the property to the Vineyard Neighborhood Association (VNA).
In April of 2006 it was our privilege and joy to hand the keys to the Vineyard Resource Center to the VNA leadership.
Since the inception of this venture, the center has gone from an idea to a building to becoming the hub of activity assisting local residents in a myriad of ways. In addition to serving as the operational headquarters for the VNA, the following programs also exist to enrich the lives of the residents:
• Weekly health and wellness classes which include diet, nutrition, and aerobic exercise
• A resident run food pantry that is particularly sensitive to the needs of seniors and people with diabetes
• Basic and intermediate computer training
• Meeting space for area organizations as well as faith-based congregations
• Social functions aimed at bringing residents together for fellowship opportunity
• A safe and cool place for residents to escape extreme summer heat
The resource center has become a catalyst for the stabilization of this neighborhood. The VNA Board established a Fund Development Committee which provides oversight for all budget and fundraising activities and will maintain a budget to ensure the ongoing viability of the center and neighborhood association. This Committee meets on a monthly basis and has successfully secured a technology grant for computers. A profitable fashion show and fundraising dinner was also hosted by the neighborhood association. It is anticipated that the neighborhood will continue to grow and use the resource center as a hub for all neighborhood activity.