Alterfin offers a variety of programs that integrate clients into the economy and generate capital for reinvestment:
- Lending to MFI's and to rural producers: The core activity of Alterfin is lending to MFI's and associations of rural producers. This funding gives these organisations the possibility of reaching more clients, and giving them credit in order to finance their own productive activities. Today Alterfin's portfolio amounts to $13.1 million (June 2009).
- Portfolio management: Alterfin makes available its financing experience to investment funds wanting to invest in MFI's or producers' associations. As of June 2009 we manage a portfolio of $ 32.1 million by order of responsAbility Social Investment Services AG (Switzerland).
- Technical assistance to developing organizations: Apart from financial support, Alterfin also provides technical assistance to developing organizations regarding development of credit and savings programs, financial sustainability, and the social impact of credit programs.
- Shares of Alterfin: The capital of Alterfin shares represents its financial basis from which credits can be offered. With investment in Alterfin, the shareholder contributes to a more just world and at the same time has all the rights as a co-operative shareholder.
- North-South Savings Account of the Triodos Bank: Savings mobilized on these specific accounts are preferentially used to finance development in the South. As Alterfin is earning a commission on these savings, they are also an important source of income.