- Accessible financing for all co-op members for services such as education and
- A women’s education program addressing reproductive health issues
- Construction of a local elementary school
- A home improvement program for
- A crop diversification project which provides technical support and
allows members to produce chili and cardamom for the local market, as well as vegetables and
livestock for home consumption
The ultimate goal of the above programs is to improve business capacity and consequently the vitality of the Obura-Waninara community. These programs, therefore, target its 1400 members and more in the Obura-Waninara District of the Eastern Highland Province of Papua-New Guinea. This is the poorest region of this Pacific island nation, with 96% of the population living below the U.N. recognized poverty line of one dollar a day, and the literacy rate at less than ten percent.