- Income from sales has enabled the cooperative to implement a variety of social and quality
improvement programs, including:
- Credit programs for women - More than 225 women participate in CECOCAFEN's savings and loan program. Organized into 15 independent groups, women use the funds to invest in activities that provide income diversification and food security.
- Infrastructure improvements - Revenues from 1999 helped CECOCAFEN finance a solar processing plant, SOLCAFE, which is now the leading mill in the area, aiding creation of 20 permanent and 350 seasonal jobs. A quality control laboratory was installed in 2002 and depulping machines were also purchased.
- Technical Assistance and Sustainable Agriculture - CECOCAFEN is committed to environmental sustainability through water and soil preservation and promoting organic and shade coffee cultivation. It provides training for its members in organic and shade cultivation, terracing, soil conservation, and crop diversification, already benefiting 493 farms.
- Education - CECOCAFEN offers reading and writing programs, already benefiting over 150 community members.Thus far, using Fair Trade revenues, the cooperative has funded 134 secondary school scholarships, 30 university scholarships, and 19 technical school scholarships to cooperative members and their children.