The Federation runs a number of programs including:
- Capitalization Program- provides deposits, equity-like secondary capital loans, and special purpose grants for NFCDCU members.
- CDCU Mortgage Center-creates mortgage finance options for credit unions serving low-income communities.
- Education & Training-offers a program called "Teach one, teach many" that helps CDCUs deliver effective financial education programs and improve the economic security of local communities.
- Financial Education- "Train-the-trainer" programs help CDCUs offer financial literacy classes to their members, using a special curriculum.
- Credit Networks - The Federation has three special-interest programs for interested credit unions to share issues and innovations, including the Faith-based Credit Union Network, The Latino Credit Union Network, and The Youth Credit Union Network.
- Individual Development Accounts- provide low-income members with matching funds if they save systematically for home ownership, education, or starting a small business.
- New York Community Financial Network- provides training, special programs, and assistance obtaining resources to member credit unions in the New York metropolitan area.
The Federation also offers special program support for microenterprise and small-business development.