SocialFunds.com

Community Investment Center
Back to Community Investment Center
Powered by: SRI World Group web development services Calvert Foundation
Fondo De Dessarollo Local/Nitlapan

Campus Universitario UCA
Edificio FDL
Managua
Nicaragua

Contact: Mr. Julio Flores Coca, Executive Director
Phone: (505) 277-4245, 270-
Fax: (505) 277-4245, 270-
URL: www.fdl.org.ni
Email: floresc@fdl.org.ni, floresc@ns.uca.edu.ni
 

Fondo de Desarrollo Local (FDL), Spanish for "the Local Development Fund," is a micro-finance institution that provides both capital and financial services to those in Nicaragua who have no access to traditional banks. FDL targets micro-, small- and medium-sized rural businesses, but also works in urban contexts to help economically viable businesses that have no access to the formal banking sector. Through its programs and services, the organization contributes to social and financial sustainable development.

Program

FDL's programs seek to promote successful development and are directed at the reactivation of Nicaragua's economy of farmers and craftsmen. The programs focus on reform and the stimulation of production to address the problem of slow and stagnating economic development. FDL's programs include a land titling program, applied macro-economic and sector research, especially for the timber, textile and leather industries, technical assistance and training for small business, and promotion of adapted technologies and capitalization for small rural enterprises.

FDL also gives several types of loans that support its mission and goals.



Client Population

FDL serves the Nicaraguan community's small and medium-sized business people. Approximately 60 percent of FDL loans serve rural, agricultural businesses, while the remaining 40 percent support micro-business activities of commerce, service, small industry, consumption and housing for salaried workers. Due to an increase in retention, 62 percent of FDL's clients in 2005 were women, up from 56 percent in 2004. Recent studies have also shown that FDL's clients make greater investments in their children's health and education than other families with similar incomes but without access to credit.

Impact

In 2005, FDL significantly expanded their social coverage, especially to reach poor rural and urban micro-businesswomen. This was possible due to the successful adoption of both joint liability credit methodologies and of training/technical advice services adapted to the particular needs of each social segment. FDL's investment in farming has increased farmers' incomes by promoting the development of cattle activity and improving productivity, while simultaneously reducing environmental deterioration. As of December 2005, FDL had a loan portfolio of US $34.6 million, a default rate of only 0.2 percent, and had served 52,049 clients.

Story

Fondo De Dessarollo Local/Nitlapan
José Nicolás Aguirre Alemán says, “I’ve been working the land for 20 years. I’ve also worked in raising pigs and cattle. I’m a diversified farmer, in that I grow maize, beans, citrus fruit and vegetables and mainly sell the fruit harvests.

FDL has helped me a lot. I’ve bought land, obtained a vehicle, rebuilt my house and above all my economic situation has changed. FDL has good credit policies, favorable for anyone with the desire to get ahead. I feel satisfied because they’ve never denied me a credit, and resolve what I need in less than 24 hours.”
Full Story

Back to Community Investment Center

Mutual Funds | Community Investing | News | Sustainability Reports | Corporate Research | Shareowner Actions | Financial Services | Conferences
Home | Login | Contact | Support This Site | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Reprints


© 1998-2017 SRI World Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Created and maintained by
SRI World Group web development services
Do your own research Work with an advisor SRI News SRI Learning Center Home